Tile Drain Loans - Installing tile drainage is a very common land improvement practice among farmers in Ontario. Corrugated plastic tubing, clay and concrete drain tile are installed beneath the surface of agricultural land to drain excess water from the crop root zone. The benefits of tile drainage for crop productivity, farm efficiency and even for reducing environmental impacts have been studied and are generally well known to farmers.

In Ontario, the Tile Loan Program, authorized by the Tile Drainage Act provides loans to agricultural property owners to help them finance these tile drainage projects.

If you require a tile drain loan, please contact the Township office for further information.  Obtaining a tile loan through the TOwnship requires an application and approval from Township Council.  The rate is 6% each year for a 10-year term.

Is your farm tiled? You can visit the Agricultural Information Atlas site. Once past the agreement of terms, you will be able to zoom to your property and see the random and systematic tile that exists. Please note that this map is not provided by the Township of Adelaide Metcalfe, so if you have any questions about the map or that website, please contact OMAFRA.

Municipal drains Physically, a municipal drain is simply a drainage system. Most municipal drainage systems were constructed to improve the drainage of agricultural land. However, they also remove excess water collected by any other properties in rural areas. Municipal drains are created under the authority of the Drainage Act.

New Drain - Landowners in an area requiring drainage can sign a Petition for Drainage, which will set in motion a project to create a new municipal drain. This falls under Section 4 of the Drainage Act.

To petition a new drain, please fill out the Section 4 Form 1 - Petition for Drainage Works by Owners on the Government of Ontario's website, print out and bring to the Municipal Office. 

Repair and Improvement - If an existing drain requires significant repair and as a result the repair includes changing the original drain's infrastructure in a way that is different from the original engineered plans, an application should be filed under Section 78 - Repair & Improvement. Examples of this include widening, lengthening, deepening a drain, etc.  Click on the Information sheet and contact the Drainage Superintendent.

Maintenance and Repair - The most common application is one that falls under Section 74 of the Drainage Act, which is your basic Maintenance & Repair work. This usually includes work such as clean outs, removal of beavers/dams, repairing/replacing tile and generally repairing the existing drain in a way that does not detract from the drain's original construction.  Click on the Information sheet and contact the Drainage Superintendent.

If you, as a property owner needing to have a drain cleaned out, contact the Drainage Department.  Before any project on a municipal drain can start, approvals are required from conservation authorities and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.  Often approvals take some time.  Give us a call if you have any questions.  For those landowners who have catchbasins on their properties, or near their properties, it would be of great assistance to the Township if you would keep the tops and sides of the catchbasins clear of debris in an effort to assist water to recede more quickly in peak flow situations.






Andrew Neely Drainage Superintendent   aneely@adelaidemetcalfe.on.ca


welcome to adelaide metcalfe

Powered by CivicWeb CMS