St Mary's Historic Church & Cemetery

1418 Melwood Drive
Kerwood, Ontario

In 1832 and 1833 a considerable number of retired veterans of the British Army and Navy, some of whom had commuted their pensions for land, settled in this area. Largely members of the Church of England, their spiritual welfare was at first cared for by the rector of Adelaide Township, the Reverend Dominick Edward Blake. In 1840 one of the settlers, Lieutenant Charles Preston, donated land for a church and burying ground, and this frame building was constructed about 1843. St. Mary's is the oldest remaining church in Middlesex County. It was consecrated by Bishop Benjamin Cronyn in 1860, and many of the original settlers lie buried in the adjacent churchyard.

Click on any of the pictures for an in-depth view of St Mary's Church and Cemetery.

One service a year is held at the church on the 4th Sunday in June at 3:00 pm.  For more information, please contact Dorothy Wilson at 519-247-3740 or Mary Ann Martin at 519-872-3744 or email

St. Mary's church

St. Mary's church sign

st. Mary's cemetary

sunset over st. mary's cemetary


Adelaide Metcalfe Township Hall

2340 Egremont Drive


Click on any of the pictures for more detailed views.

front of townhall building

front of town hall building

front of town hall building with sign

welcome to adelaide metcalfe

Powered by CivicWeb CMS